- Get involved
Head of Tribology Unit at IK4-TEKNIKER
Dr. Amaya Igartua has worked for IK4-TEKNIKER since 1988. IK4-TEKNIKER is part of the IK4 Research Alliance, with more than 1300 researchers. Dr. Igartua has been the head of Tribology Unit during the last 10 years, and she has been the Spanish representative of COST of Tribology, Tribotechnology of engines and transmissions and biotribology. She promoted the creation of the Virtual Tribology Institute, the Eureka Umbrella ENIWEP about Wear prevention, the Eureka Umbrella E-Surf about coatings. She participates in the SC of EUMAT coordinating the modelling and simulation activities, and in MATCH Network, facilitating the Access through financing programmes. She has participated in over 50 EU Projects and has participated in over 200 publications and 3 patents.
Read more about Amaya’s work here.
Abstract Title: The Importance of the Tribology in demanding industrial Applications.
Abstract: After a brief introduction about the history of the tribology in IK4-TEKNIKER, the presentation will explain the importance of the tribological design for improving the behavior of different products and processes. The presentation will cover cases studies about the following topics:
– tribology in aggressive environments (eg- vacuum-ultrahigh vacuum, marine and off shore environments, tribocorrosion, biotribology of hip, knee and dental implants),
– tribology of mechanical elements (eg. clutches, brakes, journal bearings, rolling bearings, gears and transmissions)
– high temperature tribology (eg. moulds (high pressure die casting, polymer injection), engine components)
– tribology of materials (eg. seals, antislippery floorings, textiles)
– tribolubrication (eg. environmental friendly lubricants for cutting, forming applications, biolubricants for bearings and gears, ionic liquids)
A huge range of new testing equipment’s and protocols have been developed to simulate the friction, wear (mechanical and chemical) of a wide range of mechanical components and systems in different environments. This will also help us to make a step forward, towards the model, the extrapolation of research results and generation of new standards.
Tribology facilitates the implementation in a cost efficient, predictive and safe way, low carbon imprint materials solutions into energy and resource efficient systems.